Main Navigation

About This Report

Workforce at a Glance

Workforce Profile

Compensation

Talent Acquisition

Retention

Employee Performance Management

Employee Satisfaction

Workforce Initiatives


Other Compensation Tools


General Wage Increase

The last general wage increase for state employees was a two percent increase in 2008 (July for represented, September for non-represented).

Washington does not use COLA (cost of living adjustment) methodology to determine across-the-board wage increases. Increases are negotiated for represented employees and approved by the Legislature for non-represented employees.

 

General Wage Increases Have Averaged 2% per Year Over the Past Two Decades
Year Percent Wage Increase
*2006 - Teamsters negotiated 2.9% increase, all other received 1.6%
1990 2.5
1991 6
1992 3.6
1993 3
1994 0
1995 4
1996 0
1997 3
1998 0
1999 3
2000 3
2001 3.7
2002 0
2003 0
2004 0
2005 3.2
2006 1.6
2007 3.2
2008 2
2009 0
2010 0

 

Incremental Salary Increases

General Service classified employees (non-WMS) receive incremental salary increases each year until they reach the top step of their salary range. These step increases are automatic and are a permanent addition to the base pay.

As of June 2010, 36.3 percent of classified general service employees were eligible for a step increase. The remaining 63.7 percent of employees have reached the top of their pay ranges and are ineligible for step increases.

 

% of General Services Classified Employees Eligible for Incremental Salary Increases Continues to Decline in FY10
FY Workforce Headcount
Decrease in Eligibility of 9.4 percentage points
FY 2008 45.7
FY 2009 40.0
FY 2010 36.3

Salary Freeze

As a result of legislation (SSB 5460), all salary increases for WMS and at-will positions have been frozen effective February 15, 2009, through June 30, 2011.